Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Hardy Boys vs Nancy Drew

 

 








   There are many young adult novels out there, and there are some that involve detective. Sherlock Holmes being one of them, but I wanna talk about another set of detectives. How they are similar and differ from each other. One of them is a pair of teenage boys that are brothers; and another involves a teenage girl.

      They are... the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.












  I never got into the Hardy Boys since it was my father's generation. I feel Hardy Boys was more a story for boys while Nancy Drew was meant for girls. They have similarities like they both have a father figure and no mother.

    Another thing that is similar....is the author. There is no Franklin W. Dixon or Carolyn Keene. They are just names created by a team of ghostwriters that are from the same company as one another.









   Nancy Drew has a similarity to the Hardy Boys. Although she tries to solve mysteries that involve her best friend and not sibling. Sometimes a mystery would involve a disappearance (mostly of her father), hidden stolen money, bank robbery.... somewhat the same things the Hardy Boys would go through.

     Like the Hardy boys, Nancy Drew would have chapter books full of mysteries. I never got into them, but I have seen adaptations of the books.










   I had recently been watching a 70's tv show that was into the hole spy genera. They decided to team up the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew together. Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy would be Frank and Joe Hardy.

   I forgot who portrayed Nancy Drew, but it was an ok show. I got into it, watched a few episodes and realized how cheesy it was. I guess that was the 70's










  Eventually, both Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew would come to tv and movie screens. Nancy Drew was portrayed by Emma Roberts. Not knowing this movie well, it seemed to be ok. Not great.... but passible as Emma portrays Nancy Drew.

   I guess they have to solve a mystery of a death of a certain movie star brings Nancy back to her crime solving ways.









   The Hardy Boys didn't have much of a movie like Nancy Drew did. But they had a short-lived series on Hulu.

    No, I did not see it so I can't explain about it as much as I would love to. I guess it's similar to the seventy's version, but with a Gen Z/Gen Alpha twist. Having more gadgets and stuff to help solve mysteries even faster than the 70's version could.











   One more movie that Nancy Drew did was in 2019 with Sophia Lillis as Nancy Drew. This movie I remember more. Yes, it did have technology, but it did have a good story. Nancy and her father moved closer to her aunt after her mom's death.

    She soon discovers a mysterious house that belongs to Linda Lavin (long story) and tries to keep herself out of trouble but befriends someone who her real friends can't stand. Her father goes missing and it seems it involves a hidden staircase in Linda Lavin's house.

   It was ok. I enjoyed the movie, and I would say...it does follow the Nancy Drew formula.









   So....which one is better? Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys? Both have the same style kids just solving mysteries. Having ghostwriters for authors and I feel both of them have an interesting style which involves solving a case.

    In my opinion...they're the both the same and both the old tv show and Nancy Drew movie (2019) are my favorites although both of them are hit and miss. The books are still around and are famous to fans of this kind of genera like my father and I. Enjoy the book version, you won't disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment